“Cookery is not chemistry. It is an art. It requires instinct and taste rather than exact measurements.” - Marcel Boulestin


Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Italian Chicken with "Almost Homemade" Red Sauce

This is one of those recipes that combines several things I LOVE to eat.  Probably my favorite dish in the entire world is chicken Parmesan.  This recipe is sort of a take on that, and another of my favorites pasta stuffed with cheese i.e ravioli or tortellini.  I have developed a super simple and tasty red sauce to serve over the chicken/pasta combination.  I am pretty picky about my tomato sauces.  I don't like sauces made with sugar that have a sweet taste.  I prefer a garlicky (is that a word?) and savory tomato sauce.  I hope you enjoy this combination of two of my favorites.

 
Italian Chicken Served with Cheese Ravioli



Ingredients:
  • Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast ( I used 2)
  • Italian Dressing
  • Bread Crumbs
  • 2 cans of tomato sauce ( I used 1 because I was make a smaller serving and if you like a chunkier sauce use 1 can diced tomatoes and 1 can of sauce)
  • 1 packet of Zesty Spaghetti Sauce Mix (I only used half because I only used 1 can of sauce)
  • 1 tbs of Chopped Garlic
  • Slices of provolone or mozzarella cheese (1 for each piece of chicken)
  • 1 Bag of Frozen Cheese Ravioli



Dredge chicken in Italian dressing.



Coat chicken in breadcrumbs and place in a greased baking dish.
Bake at 350 for 40 mins for thicker breasts 30 mins for thinner breasts.



Saute garlic and a small drizzle of olive oil in a small sauce pot.



Add tomato sauce and stir in the zesty spaghetti sauce mix.



Bring to a boil and then reduce to a low heat to simmer while everything else cooks.
The longer it cooks, the thicker the sauce will become.



Cook pasta according to package directions.



When the chicken only has 5 mins left to cook, cover each piece with a slice of cheese.



Remove chicken once the cheese has melted and the chicken is cooked through.



Plate chicken and pasta and cover with sauce.
Serve with a caesar salad and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment