“Cookery is not chemistry. It is an art. It requires instinct and taste rather than exact measurements.” - Marcel Boulestin


Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Chicken and Rice

        First of all let me start by saying that this is one of my favorite recipes because my grammy made it all the time when I was little.  It is so simple and delicious and it takes me back to elementary school when we still lived at my grandparent's house.  Needless to say, when I started first started cooking for myself I made this a lot, because it was almost foolproof and it always reminded me of home.  So of course this is the recipe that I made for our first study group, before the very first day of law school.  Don't you love how we attach food to a memory or occasion?  Or maybe that is just the foodie in me.
         Anyways back to the recipe.  It makes the kitchen smell so good when it cooks that everyone will think you slaved all day, and I promise, it tastes just as good.  Through the years I have changed my recipe just a bit from my grammy's.  She makes hers with dry min rice.  I make mine with cooked rice.  It doesn't make much of a difference, but to me the rice mixture is creamier at the end.  Try it both ways and see how you like it? 

Gram Trudy's Chicken and Rice

Ingredients:

2 bags of boil in a bag rice already cooked (I use uncle ben's)
As much chicken as you want to use  (I used 2 large breasts and cut them into smaller pieces)
1 can of condensed cream of chicken soup
2 cups of chicken broth

That's it! So simple and delicious!


Place the chicken into a casserole dish and season liberally
(again, I used Lawry's season all, another thing I picked up from my grammy)


(Does anyone know why the pictures keep coming into my blog sideways?)

Empty the rice into a large mixing bowl.


Add the can of soup and the broth.
Start with one cup of the broth, you may not need it all if it looks
 soupy enough your good to go, but if you want more sauce
or it doesn't look soupy enough add more


Pour the rice mixture over your chicken.


Bake at 350 for 40 mins.


Serve with whatever vegetable side you choose.


I promise it will be a hit!


Thanks Gram Trudy!

No comments:

Post a Comment